Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What do you truly know about Greek life


Taylor Ross
1/23/12
                So I am not a person who would consider myself a “blogger” I have done many blogs for miscellaneous things but, I have never been one to express my thoughts well into words unless it is about something that truly gets me all kinds of hyped up. With this in mind; the topics I plan to write about are going to be of things that are most prevalent and important in my day to day life. For my first blog the only thing I could think about was my fraternity. I do not want to speak solely about my fraternity but, my experiences through my fraternity will be seen. Feel free to disagree with what I have to say but at least read my words with an open mind.
                As with many large groups of people those of us who choose to go Geek face some serious stereotypes.  The media portrays the Fraternity/ Sorority lifestyle nearly always in a bad light. Movies like Animal House, Old School, and T.V shows such as Greek show poorly upon what it means to be a member of the Greek community. The medias portrayal is one in which all members are tasked as troublemaking, constant partying, and hazing. Sure these attitudes can be seen in members of Greek communities but, it is unfair of people to assume that all members are the same without knowing them. Personally I hate stereo types. They are a stupid thing that the human brain once developed to better ensure our survival. Now we have long since lost the need for it anymore but the use of these stereo types has been engrained in us for so long it can be difficult. All stereotyping is really is a simplified and standardized conception about the characteristics or expected behaviors of an identifiable group. The problem with this is that stereotyping can lead to prejudice and that can lead to discrimination.  It may sound whiney and pretentious for me to complain about prejudice against those who identify as greek. It would only sound pretentious to those who view the Greek community of low importance and those people who think that there are different levels of prejudice. Those are the people who are the most in need to learn more. Personally I view all prejudice as the same. Some people face more prejudice but it is all the same in its vileness.
                When people head off to college with preconceived notions based on the media and its portrayal of different kinds of groups I feel as if they miss out on many opportunities. I feel as if joining a fraternity was one of my best decisions so far in my life. I cannot imagine where I would be if I had invested more into the medias portrayal of Greek life.
1.       You'll make real friends: some of the best friends I have ever had I have met through the Greek system. When we call each other brother it is not in the same way most people. We don’t just say brother we mean it. It is amazing how close to being a family a group of people can be.
2.       You'll learn responsibility: Without my participation in the Greek system life would be a lot more difficult. Currently I am new member educator for my chapter, member of our Greek council plus all year round we are organizing philanthropy events, fundraisers, and socials.
3.       You'll make connections: Networking, networking, networking possibly the biggest pitch given in order to gain new members for any organization.  The people you will meet through the Greek community can at some point help get you a job. You can make great friends through these connections and even better memories. It’s amazing the situations in which we can run into a member of the Greek community.
4.       You'll gain a good dose of self-esteem: There is no better feeling than truly accomplishing something big. My chapter set up a huge haunted house for St. Jude Childrens hospital we did not make a lot of money for them in the end only donating 500 dollars but we all got to be proud of what we had done.
5.       You'll earn points on your resume: In the Greek community you will put on hour after hour of community service on your resume. Teambuilding workshops you will more than likely attend. Plus all the real business skills you learn by setting up all of these different events.

Some fun statistics from greekadvisor.com to help clear away some ideas you may have about  Greeks still.

There are over 9 million Greek members nationally
Of the nation’s 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by fraternity men.
85% of the Fortune 500 executives belong to a fraternity.
40 of 47 U.S. Supreme Court Justices since 1910 were fraternity men.
76% of all Congressmen and Senators belong to a fraternity.
Every U.S. President and Vice President, except two in each office, born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.
63% of the U.S. President’s Cabinet members since 1900 have been Greek.
A National Conference report shows a high percentage of the 4,000 NIC fraternity chapters are above the All-Men’s scholastic average on their respective campuses.
A U.S. Government study shows that over 70% of all those who join a fraternity/sororitiy graduate, while under 50% of all non-fraternity/sorority persons graduate.
Less than 2% of an average college student’s expenses go toward fraternity dues. (U.S. Office of Education)
Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek community.
1 st Female Senator was Greek
1 st Female Astronaut was Greek
All of the Apollo 11 Astronauts are Greek
Over $7 million is raised each year by Greeks nationally
The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the US, with members donating over 10 million hours of volunteer service each year
71% of those listed in “Who’s Who in America” belong to a fraternity
As Alumni, Greeks give approximately 75% of all money donated to universities
There are 123 fraternities and sororities with 9 million members total
There are 750,000 undergraduate members in 12,000 chapters on more than 800 campuses in the USA and Canada

10 comments:

  1. Much like the military, the good which is done by an organization does not absolve it of responsibility for wrongdoings. I understand your point, you're not a rapist and believe truly in equality for all. However, "Fifty-five to seventy percent of gang rape perpetrators belong to fraternities. Eighty-six percent of off-campus attempted rape or sexual assaults are at fraternity houses.[11] College gang rape tends to be perpetrated by middle- to upper-class men." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_rape

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually learned a lot from reading your post. I had never even considered joining a sorority, because the girls that had that I have seen, all wore high heels and short, tight dresses, and I wanted no part of that. I thought going greek was all about partying and making friends, but your post really opened my eyes. The statistics at the end of your blog really drove your point home and are actually really shocking! This really put fraterinites in a better light, good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see where you are coming from on a lot of things, and your group that you chose to join, from the impressions I have gotten, really are a good group. But other greek groups, and guys I have met on this campus, make it extremely difficult to not think of Frats poorly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your topic was interesting to me. Im not going to lie, I was one of those people that just assumed things about your frat. However, I am to say I am wrong and learned that your group does great things! Glad you shared this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a TA with Tommy so I was very pleased when I saw that this was going to be a positive blog about TKE. I used to be like a lot of people at WSU who think that TKE is the rape frat. I know now that, that honestly just isn't true. And I'm sorry that you guys get such a bad image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with what others are saying about the stereotypical frat houses. We have heard so much negative gossip about frats around the world as well as right here at Winona that it is hard to think of them in a positive light. I do appreciate that you tried to justify frats and their "good" work (philanthropy, volunteerism, etc.) and I applaud your work within your frat. Thank you for trying to give frats a good name, but it may take more than one activist blog. I like that you included a lot of statistics, but wish you would have explained them more instead of just listing them for us to decipher ourselves. Different blog with a different topic--nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this has to actually be one of the most insightful blogs I've read from our class so far. One idea in particular that got me thinking was from this quote:

    "It may sound whiney and pretentious for me to complain about prejudice against those who identify as greek. It would only sound pretentious to those who view the Greek community of low importance"
    This brings to light an entire new idea of prejudice and oppression that I've never noticed before - I feel like I'd refer to it best as "perceived privilege." On this, what fascinates me even more than your post is the comments - the way you describe how you feel oppression and prejudiced against because of your status as a brother, but no one is taking you seriously. Which...is just fascinating on a thousand levels that we can say, "Yeah, sure, SOME gays have a tendency to be hypersexual, but that's not how we should be judged!!" or "Yes some [group] are [negative trait], but we shouldn't all be seen like that!" and expect people to listen...yet when someone such as yourself speaks from a group that is seen to be privileged already, you're not taken seriously despite the fact that you relate very similarly to the pain of more obviously oppressed groups. INTERESTING. I look forward to reading more from you, TRoss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought much about Fraternities until you explained it more for me. I have a friend who is in a fraternity, Sigma Pi, at the U of M. At first I suspected he was just a party animal and decided to throw rage's all the time. He never gave me the time of day in order to understand what the brotherhood was really about, but I do appreciate you letting me know what you believe in and what you feel like means a great deal to you. I feel the same way about football. Football shares a lot of the same qualities you listed off. It's a unity, we aren't just a bunch of party hooligans. Thank you for your explanation. I really appreciate the clarification. And hopefully the stereotypes stop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting blog! Frats do not have the best reputation, so its good to hear a positive side. Perhaps in a follow-up blog you could write about how Frat members can alter negative fraternity reputations and shatter stereotypes. You explained what frats DO, so maybe next you could explain HOW frats function, where our misconceptions come from, and why you think they are perpetuated. Good work! Excited to hear more

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great point of view and topic for change writing. I am glad that you stated, "those people who think that there are different levels of prejudice." I think this is the bottom line. Everyone is prejudice in some way, I believe, and you have opened some minds here. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete